Mashed Parsnips and Potatoes with Chives and Parsely
Adapted from Simply Recipes
- 1 1/2 pounds parsnips
- 1 1/2 pounds yukon gold potatoes
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp chopped chives
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Peel the parsnips. Cut them crosswise into 1/2-inch thick medallions.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1 to 1 1/2-inch chunks.
- Place into a medium saucepan, cover with water, add two teaspoons of salt. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat, cover and let cook for 10 minutes, until a fork can pierce easily. Drain and return the parsnips and potatoes to the warm pan. Cover and let steam in the heat of the pan for 10 minutes.
- Using a potato masher, mash the parsnips and potatoes until nicely mashed. Don’t over mash or they will be gluey. Add butter and salt (omit salt if using salted butter), and mash some more. Stir in the chopped parsley and chives. Add black pepper and more salt to taste.