Moroccan Carrot Salad with Parsley and Roasted Lemon
Adapted from the Food Network’s website
- 1 large lemon, washed, sliced into thin rounds, and then quartered
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon orange zest, plus ¼ cup orange juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 carrots, peeled and grated
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- Place lemon pieces in a cold skillet. Add a generous amount of oil to cover the bottom of the pan and heat over low heat until the rinds soften and begin to brown and caramelize, about 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the cumin, cinnamon, ginger, cayenne, orange zest, orange juice, salt and pepper.
- While whisking, pour ¼ cup olive oil.
- Add carrots, parsley and pine nuts.
- Remove the caramelized lemon to the bowl using a slotted spoon. Toss and taste for seasoning.
- Drizzle in some lemon infused oil to taste.