Stewed Sweet Peppers (Peperonata)
Great for a bruschetta topping
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 mellow star peppers (red), seeded, and cut into strips
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced crosswise
- ½ medium white onion, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Heat oil in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add peppers, garlic, onions, and ½ cup water and season with salt and pepper. Cook, partially covered and stirring occasionally, until peppers are soft, about 1 hour.
- Stir in vinegar and transfer to a serving bowl.