Pickled Vibrant Sandwich Slaw
For the pickling brine:
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1 cup cold water
For the pickles:
- 5 cups of slivered or julienned mixed firm vegetables. use different colors for a more visually stunning final product. We recommend using a mix of carrot, radish, yellow and orange bell pepper, beet, fennel, and cucumber
- Optional: a few slices of jalapeño or other hot pepper
- In a non-reactive pot over medium heat, combine the vinegar, sugar, salt and mustard seeds and bring to a simmer. Stir only until sugar and salt dissolve.Turn off heat.
- Add the water and allow the mixture to cool to lukewarm temperature.
- Divide vegetables between jars layering them in to make a rainbow of colors.
- If using, set the funnel over one of the jars and pour the brine over the vegetables. Repeat with remaining jars.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat. The pickling process will start immediately. You will taste the difference within an hour but the real magic happens after a day or more.
Enjoy as a amazingly tasty and colorful addition to sandwiches or as a side to grilled foods. Try it in a grilled cheese sandwich the next time we have a rainy fall evening, you won't be disappointed.
Note: These are refrigerator pickles, no need to can. They should last for a month or more without any change in taste or appearance. Ensure that your vegetables are completely submerged in the brine to prevent premature spoilage.