Garlic Scapes 2 ways
01. Garlic Scape Pesto
- 10 large garlic scapes
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 cup Basil
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In a food processor, pulse the Garlic Scapes for 30 seconds.
- Add the sunflower seeds and pulse for an additional 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Add the oil and run on high for 20 seconds.
- Add the cheese and pulse until combined.
- Add the basil and lemon juice and pulse til you reach the consistency you like.
- Add the salt to taste and serve immediately (The pesto keeps in the fridge, covered, for 1 week or frozen for a month.)
02. Garlic Scape Compound Butter
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- about 2 garlic scapes, minced
- about 2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
In a bowl, mix the herbs and salt with the butter a little at a time making sure to taste as you go. Get the ratio of garlic to dill to salt the way you like it. Once you are satisfied with the flavor turn out the bowl onto a piece of parchment paper or plastic wrap and work into a rolled log. Roll up and seal the ends, making it easy to slice and use later. You can store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or even longer in the freezer.
Try it on bread for a stunning Summer appetizer or finish off a grilled steak (we think NY Strip works best) with a big slab of the butter while the meat rests.