Snap Pea Salad with Hakurei, Cheese and Fresh Mint
adapted from the Splendid Table
- 2 stalks green garlic, white and tender green parts only, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons (or more) fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound snap peas, trimmed, stringed, cut into 1-inch pieces on the diagonal
- 5 hakurei, trimmed, and sliced very thin
- 2 tightly packed tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh mint, plus additional sprig for garnish
- 4 ounces queso fresco or other fresh cheese such as queso panela, fresh ricotta or farmer’s cheese, crumbled
In a large serving bowl, combine the garlic, lemon juice and vinegar, and let macerate 10-15 minutes. Slowly whisk in the olive oil, then add salt and pepper as needed.
Add the snap peas, hakurei slices and mint, and toss to coat in the dressing. Taste for seasoning, adding more lemon, salt and pepper as needed. Sprinkle the crumbled queso fresco over the top, give an additional toss to distribute and garnish with a sprig of mint.