Fennel, Parsley, and Red Onion Salad
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 cup parsley leaves
- 1 small red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- Juice and Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Prepare an ice-water bath in a large mixing bowl.
Soak the parsley leaves and sliced fennel and onion in a colander set in the ice-water bath. Let soak 10 minutes. This not only chills the final salad down for a nice treat on a summer night, it also smoothes the onion's intense flavor.
Drain, and transfer to a salad spinner. Spin until dry, and transfer to a serving bowl.
Add the celery seeds, lemon juice, lemon zest, and olive oil. Toss to combine.
Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.