Chilled Carrot and Squash Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups carrots, sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cocozelle squash, chopped
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup chives or green onions, chopped for garnish
In a large saucepan with a lid, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook for 3 minutes.
Add the carrots and broth. Cover and bring to a boil.
Lower heat to medium and simmer until carrots begin to soften, about 7 minutes.
Add the cumin, salt, coriander, pepper, and the squash. Cover, raise heat to high, and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until vegetables are very tender and flavors are blended.
Carefully pour the mixture into a food processor or blender (or use an immersion blender) and puree soup until smooth.
Pour into a large bowl, cover, and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Stir in the yogurt until well combined.
Divide into serving bowls and garnish with chives.