Joi Choi Kimchi
- 1 head Joi Choi
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Korean chili pepper flake
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, finely grated
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 tablespoons salt
- Wash the Joi Choi and remove the stems. Cut the leaves into 4″ lengths.
- In a large bowl, dissolve the salt in 4 cups water and soak the Joi Choi leaves for 45 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
- In a bowl mix together the Korean chile pepper flake, fish sauce, sugar, minced garlic, and grated ginger.
- Add the green onion, carrot, and red bell pepper to the chili paste and mix well. add the Joi Choi and mix again.
- Pack the mixture into an airtight container and leave out at room temperature for a day. Can be eaten right away or refrigerated for another day or two before serving. Kimchi is great on its own, as a side, in asian soups or as the secret weapon in your grilled cheese sandwich.