Curly Kale Bruschetta
- 6 Curly kale leaves, stems removed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 red chili such as Cayenne or Piquillo, with seeds removed and sliced thin
- 5 garlic cloves, 4 sliced thin plus 1 cut in half
- 1 baguette, sliced on the bias 1/2 inch thick
- 6 oz. crumbled Goat Cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a heavy-bottomed pan with a lid heat the olive oil over a medium heat.
- Add the onion, turn down the heat and fry gently until very tender, 5 minutes or so.
- Add the rosemary, sliced chili and 4 sliced garlic cloves and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the kale and season with salt. Cover the pan with the lid and reduce the heat to the lowest temperature possible. Cook gently for about 20 minutes making sure to stir every 5 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle or grill pan over medium high heat. If you do not have a grill pan prepare a broiler pan and set your broiler to low.
- Place the bread slices in the pan and toast until crusty and golden brown. Alternatively, place the bread on a single layer of your broiler pan and toast in the oven, making sure to keep a close eye on the progress (all broilers are different, you may need to increase the temperature to high or position the rack closer to the broiler).
- Rub each piece of toasted bread on both sides with the cut garlic clove.
- Once the kale has finished cooking turn off heat, remove the rosemary and discard. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the kale mixture onto each slice of bread and top with a small amount of crumbled goat cheese.