- 1½ pounds tomatillos, husked and washed
- 1 jalapeños, stemmed, seeds removed for milder sauce
- ½ cup white onion, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced
- 4 tablespoons lime juice, to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- Preheat your broiler and position a rack in the upper position, or about 4 inches below the heat.
- Place the tomatillos and jalapeño on a baking sheet or broiler pan and broil until blackened in spots. Keep an eye on them... they can go from perfect to burnt to a crisp in no time.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and carefully flip over the tomatillos and pepper with tongs. Return to oven and broil for 4 to 6 more minutes, until the tomatillos are splotchy-black and blistered on the other side.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, combine the chopped onion, cilantro, half the lime juice and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Once the tomatillos are out of the oven, carefully transfer the hot tomatillos, pepper and all of the accumulated juices into the food processor or blender.
- Pulse until the mixture is mostly smooth and no big chunks of tomatillo remain, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Season to taste with additional lime juice and salt, if desired.