Soup of Canellinni Beans, Fennel, and Mustard Greens
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 bunch mustard greens, torn into bite sized pieces
- 15-ounce can of canellinni beans, drained
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated and divided
- 1/2 a lemon, cut into wedges
- In a large heavy stock or soup pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and fennel and cook until the fennel is softened, about 7–8 minutes.
- Add garlic and mustard greens and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until greens are wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beans and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently, being careful not to mash the beans, for 10 minutes.
- Add half of the parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide among bowls, top with a pinch of parmesan. Serve with lemon wedges.