Indian-Style Mustard Greens
Adapted from Food and Wine
- 1 1/4 pounds mustard greens, stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 pound cleaned spinach
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
- One 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Salt a large pot of water and bring it to a boil. Add the mustard greens and cook for 2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook for 30 seconds.
- Drain the greens, transfer to a food processor and puree. Sprinkle cornmeal over the greens and pulse to combine.
- Transfer the pureed greens to a bowl. Add the garlic, jalapeños and ginger to the food processor and finely chop. Add the onions and finely chop.
- Heat oil In a large nonstick skillet. Add the garlic-onion mixture and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the pureed greens and cook for an additional 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.Add about 1/4 cup of water if the greens look dry.
- Season with salt and serve.